This salted codfish salad is just delicious. I ate it yesterday for lunch and dinner and already fell like eating it again.
Yes, it is true that when I find something I really like it becomes an addiction for a period. Now I am in the middle of granola addiction, as I’ve been preparing it continuously during the last month ;-).
If salted codfish didn’t need a 2/3 days soaked in water…I’d prepare it again even tomorrow. I’ll look for the unsalted codfish and see if it is good the same and I’ll update you here ;-).
For this codfish salad I used the salted one. But do not give up for this reason! I asked the salted codfish to the fish seller and only after she had already packed it, I asked for the time needed to unsalt it. When she answered me: “2 to 3 days!” I felt like giving it back to her. Then I thought about just throwing it away, it’s not for me.
But, fortunately, the part of me that doesn’t like to throw away food won. And I have to admit that it is the simplest thing to do. You just have to put the salted codfish into a capacious bowl with fresh water and let it soak for 2/3 days, changing the water 2 times a day. I bought it on Friday and cooked it on Tuesday. And do you know what? It was quite completely unsalted and I could dress the codfish salad normally :-).
To prepare this codfish salad, that I have found on Brazilian Tastemade site, you will need potato straws. Even if it seems a strange ingredient to a salad, trust me, they make the difference, so don’t forget them.
- 3 cups salted fish, ready to use
- 2 cups of garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 3 Tbsp minced onions
- 2 tomatoes cut in small cubes
- 2 Tbsp chopped chives
- 1/3 cup black pitted olives
- 1 1/2 cup potato straws
- 8 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 2 lemons
- After soaking the salted codfish for 2 or 3 days in fresh water (changing it two times a day), boil it until tender.
- Eliminate the peel and let it cool. “Cut” (without knife) the codfish meat in small pieces.
- Put the codfish in a capacious bowl and add the chickpeas, tomato, onion, chives and olives.
- Take an empty small marmelade jar with ermectic top and put the lemon juice inside, together with salt and olive oil. Close it and shake it vigorously to emulsionate the mixture.
- Dress the salad with this mixture.
- Add the potato straws and mix again. Serve.
- Buon appetito!