I prepared this eggplant tart today and it’s already one of my favorite recipes. It is so easy and quick to prepare and the only time needed is for baking.
I love eggplants. I should say I love them since I live in Italy, as it is a kind of national product ;-). Their season is during Summertime, but you can find them all year over at the local markets. Of course, the seasonal ones are better, but those grown in greenhouses are good for many recipes.
I found the pie crust at ArabaFelice in Cucina Italian blog, which always suggests great recipes. She prepared it with zucchini, but I decided to use eggplants just because it seems that I’ve been cooking too much zucchini lately ;-).
What else to say? Just try it… and you’ll be one more fan of this recipe, I’m sure.
- 1¾ cup/250 g flour
- 1 Tsp of salt
- 1 Tsp of active dry yeast
- 100 ml / a little bit less than ½ cup that would be 120ml of oil
- 100 ml/ a little bit less than ½ cup that would be 120ml of boiling water
- 1 medium eggplant
- extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/392°F.
- Put the flour, the salt, and active dry yeast into a bowl and mix them.
- Add the oil and the boiling water and mix with a fork.
- Continue with your hands just until it’s well combined (less than a minute).
- Spread it on a pan (10,5in) covered with parchment paper.
- Slice the eggplant thinly and place them over the crust overlaying them a bit.
- Sprinkle some oregano, salt and add a thread of extra virgin olive oil.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Serve it lukewarm or at room temperature. Good also for the day after.
- Buon appetito!