These meat stuffed eggplants are fantastic. I saw them on a post of the great SmittenKitten blog and I soon felt like doing them. They didn’t disappoint me at al, but the opposite. Now I can’t wait for Friday when I will prepare them again as my daughter is coming home for the weekend.
I feel quite surprised of the so many ways we can cook eggplants. And all of them good. This recipe is inviting and satisfying, even not heavy as I control fats as always.
The original recipe uses sausage meat. I preferred to use pork and veal ground meat. Wonderful taste.
- 4 medium eggplants
- 0.7 oz /300 g pork and veal ground meat
- about 2 cups of light tomato sauce or prepare your own using 2 small cans of tomato puree + dried garlic + dried onion + salt + pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion cut thinly
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- basil leaves
- 2 mozzarella (0.44 oz total)
- 2 slices of bread
- 5 Tbsl grated Parmesan cheese
- Turn on the oven 392°F/ 200°C.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Wash the eggplants, cut the leaves and cut them in halves lenghtwise.
- With a tea spoon or a melon baller remove the eggplant flesh taking care not to break the skin.
- Brush the eggplant boats with extra virgin olive oil and place them on the oven tray with the cut part facing up.
- Bake them until lightly golden. When done, take them out of the oven, leaving the oven on.
- If you prefer to do your own tomato sauce, put the tomato puree into a pan together with some dried garlic and onion, salt and pepper. Let it cook for about half an hour in medium gas, until thicken.
- In the meanwhile cut the eggplant flesh in smaller pieces.
- In a capient pan, put 3 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and turn on the gas. Add onion, let it soften and then add garlic.
- Add the ground meat and let it cook, stirring until colored.
- Add the eggplnt flesh, salt, pepper and mix it all well. Cook stirring often until eggplant is done and begin to attach to the pan.
- Add 1/2 cup of tomato sauce, some basil leaves, half mozzarella and half grated cheese, mix well and turn off the gas.
- Take a capient oven dish and spread 1 cup of tomato sauce at the bottom.
- Place the eggplants halves face up and fill them with the meat mixture abbundantly.
- Put the bread into the food processor, add a Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper and pulse until having breadcrumbs.
- Distribute the remaining mozzarella and grated cheese over the eggplants and finish with breadcrumbs.
- Cook them in pre heted oven for about 20 minutes until cheese melts and brown lightly.
- Let it rest 5 minutes before serving.
- Buon appetito!