I had seen many potato roses recipes, but I was never convinced of them. Maybe because I had tried some and didn’t had good results. The potatoes weren’t baked enough or the roses didn’t come.
I tried these potato roses the other day just by chance, without expecting too much. And, as often happens when we have no expectations, the result surprised me.
I prepared them together with the meatloaf with egg inside, when my children were home last week. I don’t want to exagerate, but they repeated 2 or 3 times during lunch how tasty the potato roses were ;-).
I saw this recipe on Family Friends Food site, and one of the advantages of this recipe is that you don’t need to pay attention to exact quantities, and the result will surprise you. In my opinion, the “secret” is that the base of the rose is made with mashed potatoes.
I prepared 6 roses, and each of us ate 2. So consider 2 is a portion. If you are more than 3 people, adapt the quantities.
- 4 to 5 medium potatoes to be mashed
- 1 yolk
- 3 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 5 to 6 medium potatoes for the petals
- Wash, peel and cut the potatoes to be mashed. Boil them in salted water until tender.
- Drain them and let them cool slightly.
- Turn on the oven 180°C/350°F.
- Grease 6 muffin tins with abundant extra virgin olive oil.
- Wash and slice the other potatoes using a mandolin.
- Put them in a bowl, add extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix them well so all slices are covered with oil.
- Mash the potatoes you boiled and add the yolk, mix well and distribute the puree amongst the tins.
- Take the sliced potatoes, 10 to 12 slices at a time and create a line, overlapping them (see photo).
- Carefully, beginning from the first one, roll them over themselves creating a roll. Insere the roll in a muffin tin with mashed potatoes and adjust the petals. Add some slices if necessary to perfect the rose.
- Repeat for the other 5 roses.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the petals are browned and well cooked.
- Take it from the oven and let it rest some minutes. Then, carefully, remove them from the tins using a spoon and serve immediately.
- Buon appetito!