in Brazil you can find rondelli in many Italian restaurants, but also in most supermarkets, fresh or frozen.
it is a simple recipe that consists in pasta, ham, cheese and cream. An irresistible mix that usually conquer any palate.
You can dress it with tomato sauce or just cream, as we prefer. It is such a comforting dish, hot from the oven and with that familiar taste that recalls good food (ham and cheese do their part 😉 ).
An important tip: the pasta sheet has to be thick. Don’t use those super thin that are sold as “no boiling needed” label. With thin pasta you won’t be able to create the rolls that compose this recipe.
You can use the cheese you prefer. I like the Swiss type (Emmenthal) as it is tasty but do not dominate over the other ingredients.
How to prepare rondelli:
- 17,6 oz fresh pasta sheets (as those for lasagna)
- 17,6 oz sliced ham
- 17,6 oz sliced cheese
- 17,6 oz double cream
- Turn on the oven 356°F/180°C.
- Take a sheet of pasta and add a layer of ham and another of cheese.
- Enroll it on its shorter side creating a roll.
- Repeat until finish the ingredients.
- With a sharp knife, cut it in slices of 0.6in each.
- Add some cream to an oven resistent pan, plus salt and oregano.
- Put all the rolls, with the cut part facing up, one aside the other, and complete the pan, without overlaying them.
- Cover with abundant cream (don’t worry as it is going to be absorbed by the pasta while cooking), salt and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake until punching with a fork, you feel the pasta is soft, and there’s a golden color on its surface.
- Buon appetito!