An apple pie with half apples. Yes, it is. The apples are cut in half and the result is delicious, as when you eat a piece you feel all the baked apple taste.
It is apple time, we’re in quarantine and it is always true that an apple a day keeps the doctor away, isn’t it? So, better than throwing myself into recipes too rich in calories, let’s use the apples! This apple pie with half apples is also extremely easy and quick to prepare. The hardest work is to peel the apples.
I found the recipe on ArabaFeliceinCucina blog, and I have modified some quantities, as always.
- 1 1/3 butter stick
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 2/3 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- a pinch of salt
- 4 to 6 apples (depending on their size and the pan you are using. Consider you will need space to put all halves aside, if you use 6 apples, you will have 12 halves…)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Turn on the oven 356°F/180°C.
- Wash and peel the apples, eliminating seeds and hard parts.
- Cut them in halves and then, the flat side down, make cuts that don’t reach the basis.
- Grease or cover with parchment paper a pan of about 9 in.
- Melt the butter.
- Mix butter and sugar and beat for a minute, then add flour, baking powder, eggs and salt.
- Mix well using a wood spoon until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and add the apple halves, flat side down, cut side up.
- Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon and bake for about 40 minutes.
- Let it cool inside the pan.
- Buon appetito!