This apple pie with walnuts is… delicious. I decided to prepare it because it looked good, and only then I noticed it needs no baking powder. Considering the period we’re going through, when we should try not to go out as much as possible, there’s the fact, at least here in Italy, one of the products we cannot find at the market is yeast and baking powder.
During quarantine, we cook and bake more. Cooking relaxes. Even my husband is cooking. Today he prepared the tuna patties, the day before yesterday the lemon plumcake, but also the matzo bread and the white bread.
I found this recipe on Very Good Cook blog, and it is really simple to prepare. You don’t even need a mixer. The recipe asks for pecans and walnuts. I used 1/3 pecans (what I had at home) and completed with Brazilian nuts. During quarantine, we have to use what we already have at home the more we can.
- 8 Tbsp/ 1/2 cu soft butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 ground nutmeg
- 2 apples peeled and cut in small cubes
- 1/2 cup pecans or other walnuts
- 2 Tbsp hot water
- icing sugar
- Turn on the oven 350°F/180°C.
- Cover a 9-inch pan with parchment paper.
- Combine egg, butter, and sugar with a spoon or with a stand mixer.
- Add flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and baking soda and mix well.
- Add hot water and mix well. Then add apples and walnuts and mix until well combined.
- Bake for 30/35 min.
- Use a small plate to cover the center of the pie and sprinkle icing sugar on the remaining pie.
- Buon appetito!