I decided to prepare these brioches with egg whites because I had leftover egg whites in my fridge. I doubled the recipe because I had 4 egg whites and so the final portions are 10 brioches. They are even big. No leftovers. And we are just two.
I saw this recipe on La Pancia del Lupo blog, where I had already found the Locatelli’s no-knead focaccia. Also for this time, I modified a little the recipe. But I believe we all do it, it’s like personalizing it. Even my daughter change a little my recipes. But sometimes I do it for practical reasons: I used half margarine half butter because I had not enough margarine. I rarely buy it, except for a specific recipe.
These brioches are perfect for breakfast. While they are into the oven, they release such a wonderful aroma that you can also feel at each bite.
How to prepare brioches with egg whites
Ingredients (for 10 pieces):
- 4 eggwhites
- 2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 2/3 cups Manitoba flour
- 5,4 oz low fat milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- zest of 2 lemons
- 0.35 oz baker’s yeast
- 1.2 oz margarine
- 1.2 oz butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp milk
- icing sugar
- By hand or using a mixer, work sugar with butter and margarine
- Add milk and egg whites.
- Add baker’s yeast, flours, and lemon sets and knead until well combined.
- Let it rest for 2 to 3 hours.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal pieces. From each piece make 3 long pieces and make a braid. Close the braid on itself creating a wreath.
- Let it rest 1 more hour and turn on the oven 356°F/180°C.
- Before baking, brush all brioches with a yolk + milk wash.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden.
- Sprinkle some icing sugar on top.
- Buon appetito!