The first time I prepared these caramelized onions I ate it all by myself. So for the next times I prepared bigger quantities.
This caramelized onions recipe is so easy you can’t make anything wrong. It is pretty simple and I assure you will have success with your guests. I served it with Carasau bread, as on the photos, but also with common bread. I learned how simple it is to caramelize onions following the Italian chef Sara Preceruti recipe during Italian Master Chef 2014/2015. She had a challenge to prepare a gourmet dish using onions and bread…and she dit it pretty well.
I believe a great merit of this recipe is given to the balsamic vinegar (the best quality you use, the better).
- 2 golden onions
- 1 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp of butter
- 1 1/2 Tbsp of sugar
- 1 to 2 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- a pinch of salt
- Peel and slice the onions thinly.
- Put the oil and the butter inside a pan and turn on the gas.
- Add the onions and let them fry, without burning, until colored. Add a small pinch of salt.
- Add the sugar and stir to caramelize.
- Add the balsamic vinegar (1 to 2 Tbsp) and let it evaporate.
- Serve with bread.
- Buon appetito!