When I found this Greek cheese tart I was tempted to do it the same day. But I didn’t have feta (Greek cheese) at home…but it remained in my mind, and today I prepared it before lunch.
This cheese tart is so easy to prepare that I was quite doubtful. Then the strong aroma while it was baking (just 20 minutes) wasn’t what I expected and I was quite convinced it was not going to be a recipe I’d post or repeat.
I had all these thoughts …before tasting it. I prepared it in advance thinking about dinnertime… but I couldn’t stop eating it. I found this amazing cheese tart in Saveur.
It can be prepared by anyone – I mean anyone. You don’t need to know anything about cooking. You just have to mix the ingredients and pour into a baker sheet and then adding the feta with your hands. The result is something I cannot explain. The feta itself has a strong taste, but it is perfectly melted here.
If you’re invited to dinner and want to take something, prepare this feta cheese tart and I am sure you will receive a lot of compliments. Well, do you have feta cheese in your fridge? Not? How far is the supermarket ;-D?
- 5 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tsp of vodka
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of water
- 1¼ cup of flour (sifted)
- ¼ Tsp of salt
- ⅛ Tsp of baking powder
- 10 oz./280 g of feta cheese
- 2 Tbsp of butter
- Turn on the oven to 250°C/482°F.
- Put a 40x30cm (15.7×11.8in) baking sheet inside the oven while you prepare the recipe.
- In a bowl whisk 2 Tbsp of oil, 2 Tsp of vodka, 1 egg and 1 cup of water.
- In another bowl, mix flour with salt and baking powder.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry one and whisk until well combined.
- Take the baking sheet out of the oven and brush it with the remaining oilve oil.
- Pour the batter in and spread it to distribute it equally.
- Distribute the feta cheese dividing it in small crumbs.
- Add the butter in small pieces distributed all over the cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let it rest for some minutes before cutting and serving.
- Buon appetito!