When I saw this creamed codfish, I immediately remembered when my sister prepared it for us. She was here at home on vacation and having fun in the kitchen, and one evening she prepared brandade, the portuguese name of this dish. Delicious.
I found this recipe (here) as I was searching for paleo recipes. Yes, as I have already tried many diets, now I am trying paleo, as my daughter is following it with her nutritionist.
I love to eat. But, fortunately, I have an internal alarm that sounds when I go over a number of extra kilos. And that’s why I am on a diet now. As I do not feel like weighing everything, I am trying this diet. For the first 4 days my scale remained at the same exact point (and usually I lose liquids at the beginning), but today I was gifted with 2 pounds less.
Back to codfish, considering I am on a diet, I controlled the oil quantity. My sister used much more and here I used 4 Tbsp for 2 portions. It is up to you. More oil, more creamy. But it is very good with 4 Tbsp of oil too.
- 1.1 lbs salted codfish (or also the already desalted one)
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- parsley (optional)
- If you’re using salted codfish, put it into a bowl with water for 2/3 days, changing water a couple of times a day.S
- Boil codfish until tender (10/15 min).
- Drain it and let it cool a while so that you can peel it and, with your figers, reduce it to small crumbles.
- Put it into a deep bowl and whisk it vigirously while adding a thread of oil – like you do to prepare mayonnaise.
- Add parsley and serve.
- Buon appetito!