I saw these eggplants with tomatoes on Instagram, on a summer late morning, while returning from the beach. I showed the photo to my husband and said: “How beautiful and inviting are these eggplants! But I am afraid it is one of those beautiful but tasteless recipes”.
It was just a photo, not a recipe. And unfortunately, I didn’t save it to give credits (for the idea as there was no recipe and the photo here is mine – sorry if it is dark but, I don’t know why I have always prepared this recipe for dinner).
I decided then to prepare it and…surprise! It is so tasty. I was not sure because the eggplants are cooked in the oven. But probably for the mozzarella or the tomatoes, but it is really tasty and light.
Ingredients (for an oven tray):
- 3 medium eggplants
- 3/4 pounds datterini tomatoes (or cherry tomatoes)
- 2 mozzarelle (0.4 lbs)
- fresh basil leaves
- extra virgin olive oil
- Turn on the oven 396°F/200°C.
- Wash the eggplants, peel them and cut them in 1/2 in slices.
- Line an oven tray with parchment paper and lay the eggplant slices adding salt and a thread of extra virgin olive oil.
- Cook for about 20 minutes or until eggplants are done.
- In the meanwhile wash tomatoes and cut them lengthwise.
- Cut the mozzarella in small pieces and let them drain into a colander.
- Wash basil leaves.
- When the eggplants are done, take the tray out of the oven and leave the oven on.
- Distribute mozzarella over eggplant slices, add tomatoes, and basil leaves.
- Salt and add a thread of olive oil.
- Cook until mozzarella melts.
- Serve warm from the oven.
- Buon appetito!