I prepared this glass cookie recipe thinking about Christmas, even if I end up loving the heart shaped one more than the star shaped cookie. It is a simple cookie recipe…with a great effect, in my opinion.
A really cute idea not only for Christmas, but anytime you want to present or surprise someone. You can use a common shortcrust pastry, I used the one described below as suggested by Monica Pennacchietti to prepare these glass cookie recipe.
The “secret” is the transparent part that is incredibly simple as it is made with…common candies! The candies have to be without any stuffing, better if already colored. You have to have cookie cutters of two different sizes to be able to create the hole in the middle of them to be filled with crushed candies that will melt in the oven.
I used my blender to reduce the candies into powder. Bake the cookies and 10 minutes before they’re done, take the tray out of the oven and add the candies powder into the holes. Put the cookies back in the oven until they melt, and the cookies are done.
I bought citrus candies, thinking they were colored…but they weren’t. So I added some drops of red color for food. If the candies are already colored it will be easier to fill the empty part of the cookie, as the food color will wet the candies powder.
- 200gr of flour
- 50gr of sugar
- 50gr of brown sugar
- 100gr of soft butter
- a pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp of milk
- 2 yolks
- colored candies without stuffing
- Mix all the ingredients (I used my hands instead of the mixer) until it becomes homogeneous and well combined.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let it rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/356°F.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to a thickness of about 0.5cm/0.2in and cut the cookies using a cookie cutter creating a shaped hole in the center of each cookie.
- Place the cookies on an oven tray covered with parchment paper.
- Bake them for about 20min.
- In the meanwhile reduce the candies to small pieces or powder (I used my blender).
- Take the tray from the oven and carefully fill the holes with the candies powder.
- Put the cookies back into the oven for 10 more minutes or until done.
- Let them cool before dettaching them from the parchment paper.
- Buon appetito!