A pie party to have fun and taste together
A pie party? What is it? It is a pie that can be decorated together with your guests ;-).
This idea (more than a recipe) is one of those that catches my attention and I feel like preparing them immediately. It is a fantastic idea. A thin flaky pastry covered with different toppings of your choice.
I saw it on Food52, and they present it as a party idea as you can decorate it together with your friends/guests, each one adding what likes most.
I decorated it by myself as I prepared it to take to a friend. And something very…curious…happened to me: the party pie fell on my car’s floor! I was driving and keeping an eye on the pie, that was on my side seat. While turning on the road, I held the paper under the pie and was being able to control and keep it safe against inertia.
But…we’re in Sardinia, Summertime, lots of tourists, people that don’t know the roads and …it happens they stop suddenly too…It all happened in slow motion. The car in front of me stopped suddenly. I was at a safe distance and began to slow down, always holding the pie by the paper. But at a certain point, I had to stop the car completely and then…I saw the pie slip down to the floor…
I was incredulous. I couldn’t believe it really had happened. It seemed like those things we use to talk but never happens (like “pay attention to the pie as it can slip down”).
And that’s how I was left with half pie! And that’s how I understood that pies really slip down in the car.
Anyway, even if by half, I liked so much this pie (otherwise I wouldn’t be posting it 😉 ) and you can use your fantasy for the toppings. I used:
- whipped cream with a bit of icing sugar and sliced strawberries and blueberries,
- Nutella and cooked peaches
- Nutella and sliced apricots
- whipped cream and kiwi
- whipped cream and pitted grapes
- Nutella and strawberries
How to prepare this pie party:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- a pinch of salt
- 1 cup butter (cut in cubes)
- 1/2 cup of ice water
- In a big bowl mix flour and salt.
- Add butter and mix using your fingertips until having crumbs.
- Make a hole in the middle and add water.
- Mix just to have it all together.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Turn on the oven 356°F.
- Roll the dough between 2 parchment paper sheets to the size of an oven baking sheet (17.7 x 14 in approx).
- Transfer it to a baking sheet, eliminate the upper parchment paper sheet and bake it for about 15 minutes or until lightly colored.
- Let it cool and decorate to taste.
- Buon appetito!