I could have called these roasted parmesan eggplant something like revisited parmesan, don’t you think? I was not sure because it has raw tomatoes, but it is between simple roasted and parmesan ones.
I prepared them because I saw a photo somewhere and loved it. Fortunately I had prepared the skillet eggplant parmesan and repeated the same way to roast them – and I do believe it really makes the difference.
For this recipe, I prefer the buffalo mozzarella – but it will also work with the common one.
- 3 medium eggplants
- 2 mozzarella (3.5 oz each)
- 2 Tbsp breadcrumbs
- 2.5 oz grated parmesan cheese
- 4 big tomatoes
- 2 small cans of tomato puree
- extra virgin olive oil
- Turn on the oven 392°F/ 200°C.
- Cover the oven pan with parchment paper.
- Wash and clean eggplants and cut them in slices of 1/3 in.
- Distribute the eggplant slices over the parchment paper without overlapping them. Add salt and pepper. Add breadcrumbs and grated cheese using your fingers, the same way you do to salt.
- Cook them until golden.
- In the meanwhile, put the tomato puree into a pan with salt, pepper and a thread of extra virgin olive oil. Let it cook until gets dense.
- Wash and slice the tomatoes and put the slices into a colander with a pinch of salt to lose part of their water.
- Slice the mozzarella too and put them into another colander to lose their liquids.
- Take another oven pan and cover with parchment paper.
- Take the eggplant pan from the oven and with a spoon, spread a bit of tomato sauce on each slice of eggplant.
- Use some kitchen paper towel to dry the tomato slices.
- Make a first line with eggplant slices, then follow with a line of tomatoes and then mozzarella. Repeat until the end of the pan.
- Spread some grated cheese over so as oregano.
- End with a thread of extra virgin olive oil.
- Put in the oven until mozzarella melts.
- Buon appetito!