I wanted to prepare a strawberry clafoutis since a couple of weeks ago. But I regularly bought the strawberries and ate them as they are. Then finally, this morning I decided it was time to do it before strawberry season ends, and here it is.
I had already prepared clafoutis in the past, using other fruits. Always delicious. Clafoutis is a very simple French pastry. The granny’s dessert that each family has its own recipe. It is more commonly prepared with cherries, but it is really good also with peaches and with mixed berries.
We are in quarantine for quite 2 months now and I have put on some weight. So I prepared a clafoutis where I use honey instead of sugar and reduced the sugar you sprinkle to 1 Tbsp. It is delicious the same.
How to prepare strawberry clafoutis
- about 1 pound strawberries
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup divided in all-purpose flour and almond flour (I used 2/6 flour and 1/6 almond flour – if you don’t have almond flour, just put some almonds in your mixer and do it yourself, otherwise use only common flour)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp almond extract
- 2/5 cup honey
- 1 1/3 cup low fat milk
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- Turn on the oven 180°C/356°F.
- Grease a pyrex or an oven resistant serving dish.
- Wash the strawberries under water and then gently dry them using kitchen paper towel. Cut the leave and cut them in 2 or 4, depending on their size.
- Distribute strawberries on the greased pan.
- In the mixer container, put eggs, flours, vanilla and almond extracts, honey and milk and mix it all until well combined (it is very liquid, don’t worry).
- Pour the mixture over the strawberries.
- Sprinkle the Tbsp of brown sugar over it all and bake for about 40 minutes, or until it is firm and the toothpick, when inserted, comes out clean.
- Clafoutis can be served warm or cold.
- Bon appétit!