A quick whole wheat pizza dough? Since a little time ago I connected everything prepared with whole wheat flour to hours of difficult leavening. But two recent recipes (this one is the second) really changed my mind.
A few months ago I fall in love with the whole wheat Irish bread (I lost the count of how many times I’ve prepared it since then) and now, this whole wheat pizza dough came to remain between my favorite recipes. It is prepared with whole wheat flour and…needs no leavening!
I found this incredible recipe on Kate’s blog and she’s right when she says that it is ready to eat before a delivery pizza would arrive ;-).
This recipe is that kind that works perfectly – my favorite ones ;-). No need to correct quantities or adjust time.
You can make 2 pizzas with this recipe and so I decided to prepare a Greek one and a most common margherita, with buffalo mozzarella. I dressed the Greek one with tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, feta cheese, grilled eggplant slices I had from lunch, some artichokes, black olives and basil leaves. The other one I dressed with tomato sauce, fresh tomato and buffalo mozzarella. Feel free to add the topping you prefer.
- whole wheat pizza crust:
- 1 cup water heated to 110°F (43°C)
- 1 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp of sugar
- 2¼ Tsp of instant yeast
- 2¾ cups whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tsp salt
- tomato sauce
- mozzarella cheese
- feta cheese
- grilled eggplant slices
- black olives
- basil leaves
- Turn on the oven to 500°F/250°C.
- Mix water, yeast, sugar and oil and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Pulse flour, Parmesan and salt in a food processor. Slowly add the yeast mixture and process until it becomes a “ball”.
- Transfer it to a floured surface and divide the dough in two.
- Roll each one the thinnest you can.
- Make a light spread of cooking spray on your pizza baking sheet and transfer the first pizza into it.
- Brush the borders with extra virgin olive oil.
- Add the topping you prefer and bake it on the upper part of the oven until borders are colored and cheese is melted.
- Buon appetito!