This zucchini and cheese souffle is easy to make and delicious. I had this recipe set aside for some time, and I finally tried it. I liked it so much that I’ve already prepared it three times lately.
I had put aside this recipe that I had found on Internet some time ago, such a long time because I had even printed it. I don’t know which site I’m talking about and, in any case, I changed it so much that it almost became a new recipe.
I changed the recipe for this zucchini and cheese soufflé because I am now following the Zone diet and so I have calibrated it for the right amounts of protein, but also because I often find recipes that are too loaded, too seasoned for my taste. And this is one of them. The original included 225 g of Gruyere cheese, but it seemed a little too much to me – I assure you that the 100 g of grated Parmesan do their job right.
Ingredients (for 4 ramekins of 6 oz):
- oil for greasing the ramekins
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds (optional)
- 2 medium-small zucchini
- 3 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites
- 3.5 oz of grated Parmesan
- extra virgin olive oil
- Grease the ramekins and set them aside.
- Finely chop the onion and coarsely grate the zucchini.
- Put a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil on a pan and brown the onion, minced garlic and fennel seeds, if you use them.
- Add the zucchini, salt and pepper. Cook until soft. Let them cool. Then eliminate any liquids.
- Turn on the oven at 325 ° F.
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks. Add the zucchini, chives and cheese and mix well. In another bowl, with a whisk or with a stand mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks.
- Add 1/4 of the egg whites to the mixture with the zucchini and mix gently so as not to deflate the egg whites. Then add the remaining egg white a little at a time, always mixing slowly, from bottom to top.
- Divide the mixture into the ramekins and cook in a hot oven for about 30 minutes, when they are golden and puffy. Serve immediately because the soufflés deflate after a while they come out of the oven.
- Buon appetito!