These zucchini small pies are perfect when you need a comforting, easy and simple idea for your family’s dinner.
I know it’s not zucchini season, but even if I love so much Winter’s vegetables (savoy cabbage, cabbage, potatoes…), sometimes I do vary a little, also because we always have zucchini at the supermarket.
I found this simple zucchini small pies recipe in an Italian site called Il Cucchiaio and I have just diminished the butter input and doubles the recipe to have 8 small pies.
- 17.5 ounces zucchini
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 shallots
- 3/4 cups grated Parmesan or Grana cheese
- extra virgin olive oil
- [u]for the bechamel sauce:[/u]
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 3/4 scant cups of milk
- Wash and clean the zucchini. Boil them. Drain and smash them with a fork.
- In a non adherent pan, add a thread of oil and butter. As soon as it melts, add the minced shallot and let it soften. Add the smashed zucchini.
- Let them cook until all liquid evaporate.
- Prepare the bechamel stirring together the flour, butter and milk in medium to low gas until it becomes dense.
- Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
- Turn on the oven 350°F.
- In a bowl, put together zucchini, bechamel, eggs, cheese and nutmeg. Mix until well combined.
- Grease 8 ramekins and distribute the mixture amongst them.
- Bake for about 30 minutes (or until fluffy and golden) in bain marie.
- Buon appetito!