Zucchini is one of the most prepared vegetables during Summertime. I prepare zucchini in many different ways and I am always curious about discovering new ways to serve it.
When I saw this recipe (called zucchini butter) on Food52, by Jennie Cook, I was immediately attracted as it is extremely simple to prepare and looks yummy.
And my intuition was right! I prepared it last Saturday for lunch and I ate it all with my husband – yes, we ate in two what is supposed to be 4 servings ;-). But why worry about it? The whole recipe has only 530 calories!
We ate it with the crispy Sardinian bread, but I believe any bread will fit, even if crispy or toasted ones are probably better.
I grated the zucchini using my food processor, but you can also use your mandoline. I used extra virgin olive oil but I believe it may be delicious too prepared with butter.
- 1 kg / 2 pounds zucchini
- 4 Tbsp / 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot
- 1 garlic clove
- Wash the zucchini and grate them.
- Put the grated zucchini into a colander and salt them. Let them rest for some minutes while you mince the shallot and garlic.
- Put the oil into a pan and add minced shallot and garlic.
- Let them cook a few minutes in medium gas.
- In the meanwhile, using your hands, squeeze the zucchini (you will be surprised of how much water they will release) and then add them to the shallot and garlic mixture.
- Mix them until well comibined and let them cook, stirring every now and then, for about 15 minutes or until they’re done. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with bread.
- Buon appetito!